This is a provisional appointment.
Please note that this role is to cover the second shift and will have a work schedule of 1 am to 9 am while working Monday-Friday.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
The City of Boston is seeking an experienced Network Engineer to join the Department of Innovation and Technology (DoIt). Shared responsibility for planning, coordinating, supporting and implementing the hardware and software necessary to support the LAN/WAN requirements of the City of Boston.
Responsible for engineering, security, configuration, installation and administration of network components, e.g. Hubs, Routers, Switches, wiring closets, firewalls and network monitoring tools.
Major contributor to the implementation, support, and maintenance of the City's optical network.
Works with DoIT Staff to ensure reliable, secure communication links between sites.
Required to understand the complexities of acquiring, installing and implementing optical communication technology (DWDM dense wave division multiplexing) to support data and voice requirements across the city.
Performs related work as required.
- Applicant must have at least three (3) years of full time or equivalent part-time, professional or technical networking experience, including experience in the installations and maintenance of a carrier grade optical network, network monitoring tools, and LAN and WAN experience. A bachelor's degree in computer science or related field is preferred and can be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
- Solid understanding of Ethernet, MLPS, DWDM technologies. Working knowledge of major vendor (Cisco, Ciena, Juniper, etc.) equipment.
- Ability to prepare cost and time estimates to support networking projects and understanding of network firewalls and security concepts.
- QoS, VoIP, WINS, DNS, LAN/WAN environments, DHCP experience in an NT environment preferred. Firewall experience preferred.
- Strong written and verbal skills required.
- Must have significant knowledge of Juniper routers, Cisco routers, and switches. Understanding of all requirements of existing network and be knowledgeable of future trends and directions of wired and wireless networking technologies.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
Boston Residency Required
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-8
Hours per week: 35